A professional organisation with objects to advance knowledge and best practice in the sphere of construction management, promote the profession of construction management, to provide a central organisation for the profession and to provide an information service in all areas to its members.
The earliest record of an organisation representing construction site supervisors and now part of the Institute of Construction Management is that of the London Provident Association of Builders Foremen and Clerks of Works, founded in 1842.
Their prime objectives were to improve the knowledge and status of their members and to provide pensions and other financial aid for those with poor health etc. (This being before the days of national financial assistance).
Although some records were lost during enemy action in World War 2, it is known that the National Federation of Builders Foremen and Clerks of Works was formed in 1920, from a group of local Associations including those from Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, London and the London Provident.
By 1949, Associations had been formed in many town and county areas of the country and many had joined the National Federation, within which, a Northern and a Southern Region was eventually introduced to improve administration.
In the 1960’s the London Association resigned from the National Federation to become the Institute of Building Site Management and after a short period of time merged with the I.O.B. as the Site Management section.
During 1972 The National Federation set up a Joint Management Committee from its Association delegates to discuss and to formulate policies for its future and in 1974 the London Provident Institution and the National Federation of Builders Foremen and Clerks of Works decided to become the Institute of Construction Management.
The Institute of Construction Management became inaugurated in 1978 and marked the occasion with an Inaugural Dinner at the House of Commons hosted by Marcus Fox MP, one of the Institute Governors.
Associations that were part of the original Federation became ‘Chapters’ (currently Regions) of the Institute with each having one or more delegates to represent them at national level and there is a Centre for Overseas Membership.
The Regions each have a programme of lectures and visits to construction sites of particular interest. Most of these events carry training and education time awards, allowing members to achieve their Continuing Professional Development (C.P.D.) requirements within the Institute. Records of C.P.D. progress are held at Regional and Institute Offices.
Discussion at such events must result in a valuable exchange of information to the mutual benefit of its members.
For those who enjoy social activities, Regions and The Institute organise the opportunity to engage in activities such as the Annual Rally, Ladies Evenings, Skittles, Annual Weekend Caravan Rally, Barbecues and Christmas Parties etc.